Wednesday 6 November 2013

Christmas Shopping Trip


I must confess that even though I had planned to do some Christmas shopping today, I actually bought more things for myself than actual Christmas presents. This is partly because I've already bought everything I needed except the couple of things I picked up today, and partly because I don't really know what anyone else (brother & sister-in-law) wants/needs. 

I've had most of the presents for the other half sorted for a while now, as well as extra ideas for things the family can buy him, so today I bought him one last thing as I decided he needed it. 
I bought a bag from TK Max which I sort of liked for myself, but now I'm thinking I might gift it to my Mum. I still can't decide on that one & I might end up returning it as I'm not sold on it being perfect. Other than my Mum is pretty easy to buy for so I'll just have to buy something else if I return this bag. 

Then there's my Dad. It's his birthday later this month and he's sent my Mother & myself an email with some items from his amazon wish list so I've just ordered those to split between his birthday & Christmas. He's the kind of person that buys what he wants as & when he wants to & he doesn't have any notable hobbies that would offer up useful gift ideas. I saw an episode of some Dave Gorman show on Dave where he was talking about the difference between a 'present' & a 'gift' & my Dad already has any 'presents' he would be interested & wouldn't have any interest in 'gifts'
The premise is that a present is something you would buy for yourself to actually use, whereas a gift is something you would only ever receive as a gift because it serves no other purpose than to be a gift.

For myself I bought a pair of trousers from the Next petite range because I'm finding it's a bit too windy for tights and a skirt, although saying that, I also bought a skirt from Primark!

Overall it was quite a nice day out and an opportunity to have a day off for myself. It's the first time in a couple of weeks that I've managed to get two days off work together so I knew I could spend today doing my own thing without feeling guilty that I hadn't found the time to do some washing or to clean the bathroom! All I've wanted to do lately is jump into bed with a hot water bottle as soon as I get home, so I have! 

Tomorrow is supposed to be a date night for myself & the other half so I'm looking forward to that, although probably more the thought of a Nando's than the film we're going to see (a showing of Muse's Rome concert), but it's one of his favourite bands so I bought us tickets as an early Christmas present.




No comments:

Post a Comment